Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dr Dhawan

Jay spent most of yesterday morning at the insurance office getting them to fix my referral so that I could go to my appt today. They finally told him that I could go, and they would back date the referral. So down to Syracuse the kids and I go this morning. Dr was happy to see me. He always is. He says hi and we meet his wife and one son. Then we go downstairs for my x-ray. We come back up and go into dr's office. So here is the big news........drum roll please.......my back is fused already. The cage is completely filled in with bone. The bone looks to be the same density as the vertebae above and below. There is also bone growth on the outside of the spine connecting it all too. Basically I am healed. Of course, he still has me on many restrictions. I will obey. I am able to bike, go in a pool or lake but not swim, use elliptical, lift 20 lbs. Then he says I look good but have put on weight. You know...not what anyone wants to hear. I am up 1.5 lbs even though I am walking 3-4 miles everyday. I am also watching closely what I eat. I am going to actually journal and calorie count and then make a dr's appt. I am not sure how I can gain weight given what I am doing. I have cut out all soda and cut down portions etc.
He also told me that I can run again. He will okay that about 12-14 months he said today, but I expect him to wait until 18 months to actually approve it. I can swim after the 9month check up. He said that I can run a marathon someday. Always a goal of mine.....so that would be great. Love you all. Mom, Dr said to tell you HI and give you his best as well. :) I didn't forget to tell him.
I will start looking at ellipticals tonight. Jay is still promising to buy me one. :)

3 comments:

Lana Faye said...

I could hardly believe what I was reading. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I am so happy that God blessed you with such a wonderful man in your surgeon. He is truly a gift from God. But--you never mentioned how it went between him and the kids. I always love hearing how he responds to the kids. God has blessed you Becky! I love you all with all my heart! Kiss Squishies

Jaime said...

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL news. I was going to call you today, but spent the whole day caring for Chase and running him from one ER to the next. I will fill you in tomorrow. I am so glad to hear it is already fused, what a miracle! As for the weight gain, please get a physical. Many things could be going on that you have no control over like thyroid issues or insulin resistance. Anyways, much love.

Rae Ann said...

I am go glad that your back is healing as it should the first time. I can only imagine the smile on your face as Dr. D was talking to you! Love you all